In any case, after seeing reviews of them start to hit the 'net, it was pointed out to me that other brands under the L'Oreal umbrella had similar shadows - Lancome with their Ombre Magnetique and L'Oreal with the Color Infalliable eyeshadows! Both had cheaper price points than the Armani but smaller colour ranges and not available in Canada :(
Vanity-Fashionista was kind enough to surprise me with a load of chocolate (yum) AND two of the shadows to try so I thought I'd compare them to my previous experience with Armani for you!
I wore these alone over a layer of UDPP :)
- L'Oreal Shadows are a bit smaller at 3.5 g, Armani ETK are 4 g
- L'Oreal jars feel less substantial (they are plastic) but they do include the same plastic stopper to keep the shadow compressed as the ETK
- The colours are less complex in the pot - the Armani ETK are gorgeous and flecked with multiple colours
- The shadows swatch more satin than metallic (these swatches were done with my fingers)
- The L'Oreal shadows are a bit more fragile - I'm able to tip my ETK jar upside down completely and there's no fallout, but I lost a bit of Burning Black trying the same thing
- These apply MUCH better with a patting motion, I was unable to 'sweep' the eyeshadow on the way I typically do
- These shadows did blend really well! I didn't set them with powder
- Wear time was at least 5 hours (and then I took off my makeup since I was going to bed) over UDPP
- There was a bit of fading at the 5 hour mark - they weren't as shiny/satin as when I'd put them on, but no visible creasing!
Final verdict (for me)
If you aren't sure about the loose/pressed powder texture and the L'Oreal Color Infallible eyeshadows are available to you I think they are fun to try, but for WOW factor and longevity I'm definitely sticking with the Armani ETK Silk eyeshadows - the colour range is bigger, they last FOREVER, and I don't need to put anything on top of them to make them pop! And they are available in Canada (albeit with a jacked-up price) which is always a plus. I am still intrigued by the other colours in the L'Oreal range despite this, but I chalk it up to not being able to buy them myself!